Sunday, January 18, 2009

Attention is like a DRUG... one that makes people act like whiny, intolerable brats

So I am kind of addicted to chat programs. No, not the type where you go into chat rooms and meet creepy 30 year old guys looking for a "good time", but things like AIM and MSN Messenger. I'm actually kind of a hypocrite, because I think its ridiculous how much more easily people converse online instead of face to face... but that's another rant for another day. Today, I am going to complain about those whiny people who always want the attention to be on THEM.

My friends and I often make chat rooms and spend the day talking to each other that way. We cover topics from the Englis test that's coming up to what we plan to do during the weekend. If we're bored, we start getting random or send each other link of funny pictures and pass lazy Saturday afternoons that way. Now, it's not like we never go out. In fact, my group of friends is one of the most active ones I know... but anyway. Sometimes, people are invited into the chatroom that I don't really know that well or don't talk to that much, but for some reason or another they get dragged into the conversation.

Today, a girl that I've never had any problems graced us with her presence. I'm actually friendly with her, and while I am nice and conversational whenever we see each other in school, I wouldn't really want her as a close and personal friend. For one, she thinks her opinion is always the right one. She gets offended really easily, and, well... she's a bit weird sometimes. These are traits that aren't really in your face, so they're relatively easy to ignore, especially when she's being funny. So, I do like her. However... there is one thing I cannot STAND and that is her constant need for attention.

I seriously felt like driving over to her house and breaking her neck.

It all started with a "I'm not really in a good mood today". While that is sort of asking for attention, it's passable. Normal, even, especially when around friends. We all asked her what was up and she told us how she got into a fight with her boyfriend blah blah blah, I lost interest rather quickly. But it didn't end there. Throughout the whole day, she kept making random comments here and there how she just wasn't in a good MOOD and how she didn't FEEL good and please excuse her snappiness because she was going through a hard time. Just earlier when we were discussing proper nutrition (what did you think, that I hang out with a bunch of airheads who can only talk about how hot Nick Jonas is and the color they want to paint their nails?), he literally FLIPPED when we all sort of agreed she didn't have the best habits. Then she proceeded to SIGH and say she's having a tough time. Whenever we so much as threatened to FORGET about her (god forbid) she would add in the occasional "I just sent him a text telling him I don't like the music he listens to... heh"

THAT WILL SHOW HIM!

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people nowadays? Is everyone so freakin' full of themselves that they believe every little detail of their lives is interesting enough for other people to hear about? Can anyone ever STAND the thought of someone having different opinions than them, or take every comment made against them as a personal attack on their character? It fucking ridiculous. It's not just this girl that annoys me, it's every single person out there who FORCES their problems on other people, not really seeking for good advice or even a different viewpoint, but sympathy and assurance that what they are doing is the RIGHT thing to do? I'm sorry, but who died and made you the center of the universe?

I have so many different thoughts and opinions on this topic that I am actually having trouble typing them all. Much less keep them straight... but gah! It just frustrates me how some people have the audacity to believe their problems are so fucking important they must be addressed NOW. All the attention always has to be on THEM. Since fucking when? Whenever I'm having a bad day, I don't try to show it. I hate the idea of wasting someone else's time talking about how the boy I liked didn't say hi to me this morning and how that has me feeling so down. It may be a little pathetic, and I may not WANT to feel that way... but even if I do, I. Don't. Let. Other. People. See. It. Plain and simple. I put on a smile and just go about my everyday business. Now, it's not my fault that I have good friends that actually do notice my slight change in behavior and ask me. No, not because I constantly sigh heavily and purposely bring attention to the fact I'm pouting. That is also another pathetic antic to drive people to roll their eyes and ask "what is it NOW?"

I can't picture ever wanting THAT kind of attention.

Even when it's good news, I don't try to rub it in people's faces. Even when I'm particularly happy, I may share the news once and let it go. I don't randomly clap excitedly and exclaim "oh my god this is the best day ever!" every two seconds because I just can't seem to understand why not everyone at my lunch table constantly keep commenting on how awesome it is I got a new car. It has been 5 minutes since you've complimented my shiny new Acura! Talk about how it has leather seats now! TELL ME YOU'RE JEALOUS!! TELL me that it's the NICEST car you've seen!

FUCKING TELL ME YOUR LIFE WOULD BE DEVOID OF MEANING WITHOUT MY NEW CAR!!

Give me a fucking break. If there is anything worse than that, is the person who wants to bring everybody down with them. "My cat died today, so I may be a little down." Is okay. Hell, I'll give you a hug. I'll tell you that your cat was super cute (even if I thought it was kind of ugly) and comfort you any way that I can. But I will not tolerate you mentioning every five fucking seconds how this song reminds you of Mittens, and two minutes later commenting on how the way I said "blue" reminded you of this particularly awesome saturday morning you spent cuddling in the couch. I do not want you to sigh whenever the conversation shifts away from your cat and mention how much you miss him.

This is not mourning. I don't care what anyone says. Call it bitchy but all that is IS A CRY FOR ATTENTION. Attention, attention, attention. That is everything half the world ever wants. Especially us Americans, who have been led to believe we are so incredibly superior that every single little detail of our measly lives is SO FREAKING IMPORTANT that everyone MUST want to hear about it. And not just once! Oh no, Every minute of every day because we are just that interesting.

Well, I am sorry you're not happy. I truly am, but I have a right to not be depressed with you. I may even feel sorry and want to comfort you, but I may not want to mention it every five fucking seconds. Or, I'm glad for you that you're having a good day! I'll jump up and down and cheer with you.... but not every two minutes. Your good news may be super important to you, and I'm glad for that, but it doesn't phase me enough to change my whole freakin' day around. So why can't people just ever take the "I'm happy for you" or "I'm sorry you're going through that" and end it there? WHY oh WHY must everyone insist on having the spotlight on them until they decide it's no longer necessary... at which point they come up with a brand new issue for people to talk about that is all about them! And if god forbid the attention shifts to someone else, then they find a way to RELATE to it and make it all about them again!

Or maybe I'm just a bitch? Who knows. But if this country is plagued with people who can't stand sharing the spotlight for even half a second, then no wonder America is so hated by the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment